Safety warning after firefighters tackle Druids Heath house fire

Image: Kings Norton Fire / West Midlands Fire Service

West Midlands Fire Service are urging members of the public to be extra careful when using candles after a severe house fire in Druids Heath.

Emergency services were called around 8:30pm to multiple reports of smoke billowing out a property on Bicknell Croft in Druids Heath.

Firefighters from Kings Norton and Bournbrook were called to the scene and arrived a few minutes later, quickly extinguishing the fire.

Bicknell Croft, Druids Heath / Google Maps

It was later discovered the fire was caused by a candle and the fire service is now urging members of the public to take extra care when using them.

Candle safety

Candles can create a relaxing or special atmosphere. They also bring fire into your home. So treat them carefully. Be sure to keep a burning candle in sight, and extinguish them before leaving a room or going to sleep.

Placing candles

It might sound simple, but never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. And keep them out of the reach of children and pets, or anywhere they might knock them over! Place burning candles at least three inches apart to ensure they won’t melt one another, or create drafts that can cause the candles to flare. Always use a sturdy, heat-resistant candleholder on a heat-resistant surface that is large enough to contain drips and melted wax. Before you light, trim wicks to ¼ inch each time – long or crooked wicks could cause uneven burning and dripping. Make sure you burn candles in a well-ventilated room, and don’t burn too many in a small room or ‘tight’ home where air exchange is limited. To prevent rapid, uneven burning, and to avoid flame flare-ups and sooting, keep burning candles away from drafts, vents, ceiling fans and air currents. Drafts could also blow lightweight items into a flame where they could catch fire.

Whilst burning

Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Instead, extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container or when 2 inches of wax remain. Have a look at the manufacturer’s instructions and don’t burn them for longer than their recommendations. Also keep the match pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris. Be very careful if using candles during a power cut – flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light.

Putting them out

Did you know extinguishing candles with water could be dangerous? It might cause hot wax to splatter which could cause a glass container to break. Instead, use a metal spoon or a snuffer. Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick is no longer glowing before leaving the room. Never use a candle as a night light. Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.

Although there has been no official confirmation, comments on social media report the occupiers of the property are safe and well.

For safety advice at home or at work visit: