Fire service issue safety warning after Brandwood flat fire

Firefighters from Billesley have issued a safety warning after a flat fire in Brandwood.

Ten firefighters from Billesley and Kings Norton were called to Brandwood End on Saturday (11/02) after dishwasher caught fire whilst the owner was out shopping.

The occupier had put the dishwasher on then left the flat, shortly after the dishwasher went up in flames.

West Midlands Fire Service are urging residents not to put tumble dryers, dishwashers or washing machines on overnight or leave them unattended.

The message comes as fire crews are dealing with a high number of appliance fires across the Selly Oak constituency.

Research by consumer group Which? discovered between between 2011 and March 2014 nearly 12,000 fires were caused by faulty appliances with washing machines, dishwashers and dishwashers being the top 3 causes.

Residents are urged to register their appliances both old and new online to be alerted for any recalls or safety messages for their appliances, the service Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances and is free to use and sign up at  www.registermyappliance.org.uk

Image & video credit: Billesley Fire Station / WMFS